Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sonar 2008








So once more it's over before it's really begun, that's the impression I've got of this year's shenanigans anyway. Once more I'm very grateful to Olivier and Valerie for putting me up in their flat. A nice few days was spent there. No thanks to the twat who robbed me outside the Macarena on Saturday night (I was stupid to leave on my own anyway, but my eyes were killing. Why didn't I just go outside and relax??) or to the spiders who covered me in bites as I slept on the floor of Olivier's studio (I'm sure spiders were at work. I never heard, or saw for that matter, a mosquito but I did feel something walk over my hairy arm in the darkness). It was all over too soon, back on the plane on Monday too when today is a bank holiday over there and everybody will be getting wasted, not just the ravers.

Things couldn't have got off to a better start at the Mobilee/Rekids Beatport party on the roof of the Hotel Diagonal. We got there at about 6, maybe a little before and heard Sebo K and Matt Edwards (Radioslave), play three or so hours of faultlessly mixed house, techno and all sorts. DJ Sneak found his way into Sebo K's set a couple of times, as did "Do It Your Way" by Mood II Swing." One of Matt Edward's highlights was Ane Brun's "Headphone Silence" (Dennis Ferrer's Noisy Edit of Henrik Schwarz's remix), and the vibe was such that there was transcendentalism in the air, (no, I wasn't on one). Perfectly mixed and perfectly programmed, I doubt if there were as many good sets all weekend. Excellent stuff.

The same couldn't really be said of the Soma label night at La Terrazza. I missed Mark Henning's set but chatted to him briefly in the club. Mr Copy was on when we got in followed by Funk d'Void and then Slam. I can't understand why a club like La Terrazza, relatively far away from any residential area (except, of course, the model village it's plonked right in the middle of), should have it's sound limited. The volume was low, that's all I have to say on the matter.

So it was to The Macarena on the Friday to catch an Urban Torque special featuring Master H and Funk d' Void. These two got into the groove after a slow start by the UT label boss (who's name escapes me now) but the smoke was doing serious damage to my eyes. I left the club at around 4:30am and promptly got pickpocketed. That put the seal on an indifferent night for me. Had a good time but didn't really like the place (too small) or the first hour of the music. Got back to Olivier's with him and Valerie and had a rant before going to bed.

Saturday was spent listening to loads of music but nothing electronic. I nearly felt suicidal whilst listening to Neil Young's "Harvest" but was rescued by a piece of roast pork with roast potatoes. Food will always be a saviour. Progressively more and more stoned and drunk, things levelled out at different times. I was still fed up about getting robbed and didn't really get it properly out of my system until the Sunday. . .

. . .when a few friends came around for a late lunch (curry) before going down to the local beach at San Adria where Kompakt were putting on their annual barn dance. This was very good but I was only there for an hour or so as I had an early start yesterday . . .I can't believe it's over already. I'm still raring to go but I always need more tiime. It's as much about chilling as partying for me so I'm never up for it constantly but given more time would be much more active, cherry picking my moments as it were. In any case, I had an early start so went back with Olivier to watch the second half of the Italy Spain Euro quarter final. The whole city seemed to be cheering as the penalties went in for the Spanish. Loads of fireworks too. The Catalans put their regional pride aside for this one. Great!

PS: The RA Laurent Garnier podcast is truly brilliant. Heard in it's proper context, hats off.

No comments: